Sunday, April 6, 2008

One breath...one heartbeat

I've been thinking a lot about death lately...not in a morbid way but in a "I need to live my life better" kind of way. It started a few weeks ago when my institute teacher said something that got me thinking. He said that we might believe mentally that the Lord is going to come again, but if we really believed it emotionally then we would be living our lives different...better. And of course none of know when our last day on this earth will be and I think you can think about it the same way. If we really believed that we could die at any second of any day then we would be living better. I know I would. A guy I know got in a longboarding accident this last week and has serious brain damage. He's still in the hospital in a drug induced coma and we're just waiting to find out what happens. The thing is he wasn't being reckless or dangerous it was just a little fall he took that happened to fracture his scull. It was just another reminder to me and everyone that knows him, that life is very precious and can be taken from us in only a second. In Elder Wickham's talk today in General Conference he talked about this subject and the fact that just one breath and one heartbeat separates us from this life and the next. It just makes me want to live better then I have been and be better then I am. It doesn't matter that I have the desire to read my scriptures everyday or say meaningful prayers, it's if I'm actually doing it that counts. I know Satan makes us feel like we don't have enough time to be doing the stuff we should be doing, and he puts things in our way to distract us from what we know we should be doing. I personally am going to start praying for the Lord to help me find time to do the things I don't think I have time to do. I know he will help me. I just want to feel everyday that I am being the best person I can be and that I'm doing all that I can do. I want to have that comfort that comes with knowing if I pass from this life then I have nothing to fear. My favorite scripture is Enos 1:27, it reads...

"And I soon go to the place of my rest, which is with my Redeemer; for I know that in him I shall rest. And I rejoice in the day when my mortal shall put on immortality, and shall stand before him; then shall I see His face with pleasure, and he will say unto me; Come unto me, ye blessed, there is a place prepared for you in the mansions of my Father. Amen"

This is my goal. To be able to say this everyday of my life...

2 comments:

Myra Bybee said...

I have been thinking a lot about this lately too. Life is precious and I wonder if I am living it to the fullest.

Amberlyn said...

You are such a deep thinker Brooke. I appreciate what you have said. It's funny, I too have been struggling with the best that I can be. The direction that I've felt to go is Spiritual Gifts. What Spiritual Gifts has the Lord blessed me with that I might not recognize right now. It's not easy figuring this out, and I'm learning so much about myself along the way.
Thanks for sharing your thoughts. You will be better because you desire to be better. Pick one thing and start there. That's what I'm doing.
Hey, are you coming home for Sean's fairwell?