Thursday, April 12, 2007

The West Key



This vacation was full of music. When I was flying into Miami on Friday night I of course couldn't get the Will Smith song "welcome to Miami" out of my head. Then when we were driving down the keys we were singing "Kokomo" by the Beach Boys cause it mentions Key Largo. And while we were on the island we drove around a lot and the only decent radio station played the same 3 songs over and over again, Glamorous by Fergie, The Weeoooohh song by Gwen Stephani and Take a look at my Girlfriend. We were constantly singing these songs and annoying the crap out of each other! The Florida Keys are beautiful! The water is so many different colors and it's so green, just amazing. I was a little bummed about there not being very many beaches or waves but it was still pretty. There's not a whole lot to do in Key West, there are a lot of stuff that the people have made for you to do, like renting wave runners or going on the glass bottom boat seen here.
But as for like hiking or seeing natural wonders, that stuff just isn't there. People do a lot of shopping (including us) and laying in the sun. The weather was pretty nice while we were there, it was warm but not HOT but the humidity was horrible. I HATE humidity because it feels like I have no reason to be sweating through my shirt because it's not blazing hot, but none the less I do. We also got to see the Southern most point of the United States which was cool and strange because they have fake people standing around the monument (you can't see them in the picture) like they want you to look like you have a lot of friends in your photos or something. SO weird. We did a lot of relaxing things like swimming in the pool and laying out, taking a tour bus around the island, having a bbq, going to the sunset celebration (which happens everynight when the sun sets), taking the glassbottom boat (though that wasn't very relaxing for Summer and Janette, they both got sick and Janette threw up), shopping, eating REALLY good ice cream, playing games, sitting in the hot tub, yadda yadda yadda. It was a really nice week! Let's see, random things that happened....we went to rent scooters to drive around the island and the guy asked us if we knew how to drive them. Janette had but Summer and I hadn't so he goes "well I will be the final judge to see if you can rent them, we had a girl crash yesterday, break her collarbone and have to buy the whole bike because she didn't know how to ride." We didn't end up renting the scooters :) What a salesman that guy was, totally made us feel safe and secure...whatever! We had a bbq at 10:00pm where we ate shrimp and steak while Aaron caught live shrimp in the ocean right next to us. There were street performers at the sunset celebration who were CRAZY...literally. This one guy was hopping around yelling and talking to his cats. We went to the cemetary where there was a headstone that read "I told you I was sick". Janette lost the keys to the car in Kmart, we found them but it would have sucked it we didn't...we rented that car in Miami (4 hours away), we ate at a place called Crabby Dicks which Janette accidentally called Hairy Dicks, and a place called Hog's Breath, we did a few Geocashes while we were there and found some travel bugs with them...one named Captain Morgan and the other was Olive Oil, oh and we ate Conch fritters which are the slugs out of a conch seashell. Yum! In a nutshell that was my vacation to Florida, I'll post pictures soon.

3 comments:

Cassidy said...

The Weeoohhh song is called Great Escape and the Girl Friend song is called Cupids Chokehold.
I thought that I told you that there are no waves in the Gulf of Mexico. I like it like that.
And Hairy Dicks!!! Ahahahaha!!!

Myra Bybee said...

I went to Florida keys last year around this time and I loved it! We stayed in Key Biscane though and hung out at Key Largo for a bit. I love how songs get stuck in your head on trips. When we were in Europe we had "scotty doesn't know" and "We are going to be friends" by the white stripes in our heads the whole time and it got so annoying by the end of the trip.

Amy Bainbridge said...

Wow, now you are making me want to go to Florida! Why is it that whenever you want to rent a scooter, something stops you? Me and Myra had the same thing happen in Italy. I swear there is a scooter phantom that ruins it for all of us!